Saturday, August 25, 2012

Common Core Classroom

Learning Targets, CCSS, and Essential Questions in Room 102...
I am so thrilled about this very important focus area added to my room this year!   

Room 102 now has a Learning Target Wall which will focus on all content areas throughout the year.  My goal is to have students use this wall just like the CAFE menu, where they can add a post-it to what areas they are working on.
We begin our Morning Meeting with Whole Brain Teaching and doing a TEACH. OK! with our Essential Questions.  That is super fun!  The essential questions are posted on the doors of my wall cabinets.  I purchased Anne Bradley's first grade pack from TPT.
I have the good-ol' fashioned gel pic-clips on each poster.  As a new CCSS "I can" statement is introduced,  we will hang it on the clip.  Slides right in!  I am using Deanna Jump's First Grade CCSS pack from TPT.

The blue binder is collated to the different areas of our common core strands.  I used  tab dividers to do that.  I then added 3 sets of materials that fit in to those Common Core Areas.  (Essential Questions, I can statement cards, and Anne Bradley's vocabulary focus cards for first grade.)
The blue basket is a second copy, that is laminated, and divided by labeled Zip Loc's instead.  This set is used on the Target Wall.

Opening the binder, I have the essential question first, with post-it's that identify it as a Critter Cafe strategy.

Then on the backside, I have taped the "I can" card that matches the essential question and any Vocab. cards that collate with that concept.  The blue binder is for planning purposes.  The matching laminated set in the blue crate is to use on the Target Wall.

There is a checklist that I plan on using to date and mark off each Target objective as we move throughout the year.  As soon as I find it, I will add it to this post so you can add this wonderful resource to your planning materials!  I sure hope this was useful and I would love to hear (and see) what my other teacher friends are doing with CCSS in the classroom!  Please share!


Recent Photo Updates:




I use my bathroom door next to our CALENDAR MATH area  as our MATH FOCUS WALL.  This wall includes  our Essential Questions, and Math CCSS vocabulary cards for each new unit introduced.







5 comments:

  1. Julie,

    I just reread this post and it is really helpful! I need to get better with organizing for the common core/essential questions...thanks again for your fabulous ideas!
    Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather!
      I am so glad this post was helpful to you! Love seeing you here! I found you on Pinterest too! YAY!

      Talk to you soon!
      Julie

      Delete
  2. We just found your blog and this old post. So glad! Just yesterday we posted a blog about our objective wall using the same objective and voacb cards you have. We have struggling with a good way to organize it all. You have a great idea!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    firstgradebuddies2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you purchase the key details card that lists the who what when why and where? As well as the I can card below it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I was wondering if you had the math word vocab on a file and if you'd be willing to share. If so please send to mkitkatj@yahoo.com it would be greatly appreciated, yours are the best I've seen on the Internet! Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover