Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Phonics Dance in Room 102

Friends, don't you just LOVE The Phonics Dance?
Definitely on the Top 10 list of MUST-HAVES in a primary classroom.   Yes, I am a PDL, and proud of it!  The singing and chanting and dancing, OH MY!  Who knew phonics learning could be so fun!

Ginny Dowd's Phonics Dance seminars and professional development courses are worth every penny and stocked full of great resources. But friends, I have one better.... How about visiting her classroom and seeing her "Live in action" with her own students!   
                           Give me a MIGHTY OH YEAH!
From left to right: Nancy, myself, Ginny, Monica, and Melissa
How cute is Ginny's classroom!  LOVED it!
Several years ago, my fellow teaching comrades and I were graciously welcomed to visit Ginny and follow her through a day of Hunking & Chunking and Math Mania in her first grade classroom.  It was....A-Mazing!  In her 20+ teaching years, she has created all of her own materials and made them available for purchase at her website.  Over the years, I have collected ALL of Mrs. Dowd's first grade Phonics Dance materials. Take a peek!
You know you're a PDL (Phonics Dance LOVER) when you have a secret cabinet of ALL the materials!
I have made my own binders of my 2 favorite resources by Ginny Dowd:  "Six Steps to Literacy",
and my personal favorite, "Phonics Dance, the First Grade Way!"
Mrs. Dowd has so many wonderful units and programs available for the primary grades.  I pick and choose what I think works well in addition to my prescribed basal phonics program.  Take a look at some of my favorites...
Launching the first 2 Hunk and Chunks with Chunky, the Sock Monkey from the Critter Cafe!
Accuracy:  Day 1 of Chunky the Sock Monkey introducing
2 new Hunk & Chunks from the Phonics Dance!
We RING in new homophones every week with Ginny's awesome little chant!  The kids LOVE this!
On Fridays, we add our Hunk & Chunks
and Homophones to our PDL word wall.
The Alphabet Chant
The Alphabet Chant is a multi-functional piece:
Daily Alphabet Chant AND
our A to Z first grade word wall!
During the month of October, we practice our 
SPOOKYLICIOUS Halloween Alphabet Chant


What is my favorite Ginny Dowd Material?
Hmmm..  Let me see...


MONSTER WORDS!
You know, those scary, spooky words that never sound anything like they are spelled!  Those frightening words are so tricky, especially for beginning readers, so first graders learn the monster word chants to help them remember how to recognize those words when reading and writing.

Our Monster Word Wall including MONSTER storage containers!  
This is a hoot---the kids wanted to empty our tissue boxes quickly to use as storage containers for our monster word cards!

Now I must share one final note of LOVE before I go...  Several years ago, I asked my head room parent to help me "create" some monster word cards for our class word wall.  She sends a batch in and the kids absolutely loved them!  I knew Ginny Dowd would take a liking to them so I packaged a set up, and shipped them off to her.  The rest is history.  My monster word cards are now in her revised edition of her Phonics Dance materials!  HOT DOG!  That makes me ONE happy teacher!  
                                        Happy Chanting!



5 comments:

  1. I cannot believe you got to spend a day in Ginny Dowd's classroom! SO JEALOUS!
    I am so addicted to Phonics Dance! My kids absolutely love it too! Love your monster word containers!
    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer,
      Thanks so much for stopping by! I remembered reading that you too LOVE the Phonics Dance and I just wanted to share my humble freebies with you!
      Have a wonderful weekend!
      Julie

      Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

      Delete
  2. I'm unfamiliar with the Phonics Dance. What is it?
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy,
      I am smiling because there is no way I can sum that response up in a sentence or two! May I send you a powerpoint? I did an introduction to the Phonics Dance for teachers at another school about 2 years ago explaining how I use bits and pieces of it in my classroom. I am happy to forward that to you. I would also recommend You Tube for videos so you can hear the songs and chants! Ginny Dowd's website also has search pages of each of her materials including "Phonics Dance, The First Grade Way". What I love most is you can use as little or as much of it as you want. The kids are the indicator to that!
      Thank you for asking!
      Julie

      Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

      Delete
  3. Hi! Thank you so much for sharing those great resources! I'm brand new to The Phonics Dance...I just ordered the book and CD and I am soooo excited to begin teaching phonics using the Phonics Dance this year! Any advice for a Phonics Dance "newbie?"

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add a sparkle to my day!
I love responding to you via email.
Thank you so much for stopping by the First Grade Critter Cafe'!

Pin It button on image hover