Monday, November 5, 2012

Election Day: The First Grade Way: Part 2

I just love days like today!  And shockingly, it was a Monday!  My first graders celebrated election day today and we had so much fun!  I couldn't wait to get home and tell you all about it so here is a quick photo recap highlighting our Election Day: The First Grade Way


Scholastic's Weekly Reader "Election Day is Here" has an amazing online resource that works great on your Smartboard or projector for interactive read-alouds, games, and word work activities related to the article.  


For our Making Words activity we sounded out the word "President" and wrote it on a sentence strip.

Then I invited a few friends to come up and practice using our CAFE strategy , "STRETCH out each sound real slow, then go back and blend it together."


We cut apart the letters and began making words.


After each new word was made, our RECORDER wrote down that word and made a list.  The kids can use these new words during our next Round of Daily 5: Word Work


Work on Writing and Art:
We made a class list of about 12 ideas that began with, "If I were President...Students then wrote their responses on the campaign buttons and decorated in patriotic red/white/blue.
The kids loved coloring the campaign hats and wanted to wear them all day!  We glitter-glued the names on and decided these were important enough to hang in the hallway for the rest of our school to read!  (both the campaign hats and buttons were copied from my old edition of November Teacher's Friend resource book).














 We ended the day with our mock election!

We used privacy walls to set up a voting station in the classroom.


Look at that concentration!  

Into the Ballot Box they go!  After voting, students get to take a sticker that says, "I VOTED"

Before going home, we tallied up the results, and the winner was:

Barack Obama: 21

Mitt Romney: 5


For more Election Day materials, visit my earlier election day post by clicking HERE.


Happy Voting Friends!
Julie

4 comments:

  1. How cute! Glad to see they made the right choice too! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear Heather! I am watching the polling results and it's going to be a close one! One of my firsties said after he voted, "Ms. Marciniak, I really wanted to make my own decision but my mom talks about Mitt Romney so much that I am voting for Barack Obama instead!" Fell off my chair in stitches over that one!!!

      J.
      Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

      Delete
  2. Julie, I'm so glad you stopped by! I love this post and can't wait to get to know you better!! I love everything about this post and I'm going to use some of your ideas tomorrow!! I'm your newest follower!
    Jenny
    Owl Things First!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! I am so excited to have you as my newest blogging friend! I have never spent the entire day on the election but this year I am tickled pink that I extended the unit! My kids and I had a blast with all the online Scholastic resources and reading awesome books like "Grace for President". I hope you found something fun to try tomorrow!
      Julie

      Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

      Delete

Your comments add a sparkle to my day!
I love responding to you via email.
Thank you so much for stopping by the First Grade Critter Cafe'!

Pin It button on image hover