Monday, December 3, 2012

Day 1: Gingerbread Man Cancelled? And, Countdown to Christmas Freebie

Woke up this morning to a 2-hour fog delay.  I stayed calm and waited patiently.  Then, my fear.  School cancelled.  Now friends, most of us are jumping up and down when we have an unexpected weather cancellation.  But the week of the Gingerbread Man?  Not acceptable.  So I did what any good first grade teacher does when she has been hit with such traumatic news... I drove over to Hobby Lobby and shopped for awhile.  Found some cute gift wrap, so I snuck over to school, and wrapped my hallway bulletin board to get it ready for this week!  (I'm such a nerd for going in a fog day!)  

I also put some holiday lights around the Critter Cafe board!  The kids are going to LOVE that, especially when I tell them the animals did it!!

I have been so anxious for this week to arrive so I could blog and share all the cool things the G-MAN and his friends are doing in Room 102.  So, let me share what we would have done today!

If you don't already have this in your collection,
it is a MUST-Have!


Morning Work: Color, Cut, and glue on cotton balls for Countdown Santas!
Click HERE for your own copy!
Students add a cotton ball to Santa's beard each morning when they come in.
Day 1 of The Gingerbread includes reading aloud the LEGEND of the Gingerbread Man:
Click on the picture for your own copy :)


Due to time constraints, I prepare the cookie mix ahead of time, wrap dough in wax paper, then take to school ready to roll out.  

We have 3 cookie mixes.
Two for gingerbread cookie cut-outs that the kiddos do and the large G-Man  tray is the one that gets away!
We walk all the cookie trays down to the kitchen, and the lunch lady helps us load them in the oven.
While we wait for our cookies to bake, we read this!
Now it's time to head back to the kitchen...  But, What is this?  An empty tray in the oven?  All that's left is some crumbs and a note left by none other than that sly little Gingerbread Man!  


Click on the picture to grab your copy of our Day 1 Gingerbread Man letter: Cookie on the loose!



We scurry back to the room and make WANTED posters that we hang around the school.  Then we listen to this to find out more about this mischievous gingerbread man!


As a first grade teacher, there are units and themes that are near and dear to my heart.  The Gingerbread Man is my secret sweetie and FAVORITE of the bunch!  Here's to a week of sugary trails!  So, Run, Run, Run, as fast as you can, you can't get away from the Gingerbread Man!  
Julie

7 comments:

  1. Julie,
    Love the wrapping paper and your fun Gingerbread Man projects for the day. I hope you get to have fun with your firsties tomorrow!
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alyce,
      Thank you so much for commenting~ My fingers are crossed that this fog moves OUT and we can get back to some much needed Gingerbread Man Business!
      Have a wonderful day!
      Julie

      Delete
  2. I love the Gingerbread Man projects. Sometimes I love teaching 4th grade but, sometimes it seems so like so much fun to teach First grade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      4th Grade would definitely interest me someday. Perhaps my second choice in a teaching career! But first grade is amazing, especially when you have The Gingerbread Man on the loose!
      Thanks so much for commenting and stopping by!
      Happy Holidays!
      Julie

      Delete
  3. Hi Julie! I am stopping by from Farley's Currently. I was excited to see that you are from Ohio... then I read about your fog day and knew you must be close by... then I saw that you are in the Toledo area! I teach 2nd grade in Anthony Wayne. What are the chances of us being so close by?! I had a fog delay today, but not a closing... lucky! {Sorry, it ruined your gingerbread plans, though!} I look forward to following your blog!

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to meet you Kate! I just sent you an email!
      Thanks for following and leaving such a nice comment!

      Julie

      Delete
  4. Looks like lots of fun! (I've never heard of a fog day before.) :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover