Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Day 3: Cajuns and Cowboys with G-Math too!

Today was so much fun!  Our feature texts: "The Gingerbread Cowboy" and "The Cajun Gingerbread Boy."  Our comprehension focus strategy this week: "I can compare and contrast within and between text."  C.C. the Cow has been helping us do that!  


We are using Reading A to Z and A. Bradley's awesome graphic organizers to list and record text features
so we can compare and contrast our gingerbread stories!  
 Our phonics focus strategy this week:  "I can identify and use consonant blends and digraphs when reading and writing."  Incorporating the Gingerbread theme sounded like fun so here is what we practiced today:
  


I love incorporating phonics poems related to our focus skill, add a tongue twister page from the 4 Blocks series, and practice reading our consonant blends from our poster!  The kiddos are then encouraged to use those words during the next round of work on writing time.

Math was super-fun too!  I make copies on light brown card stock of this classic gingerbread template:
click HERE to grab a copy.
We will use this little guy for a variety of math lessons over the next few days.
Today we are using him to discuss SYMMETRY.


We will fold the g-man in half, draw and label our line of symmetry, and then make connections with finding other items in the room that are symmetrical.  What an easy way to Quick Assess students understanding of all things symmetrical!


Then we are making patterns with these delicious Gingerbread Marshmallows, along with other Christmas Candy that the Gingerbread left for us today!  We will make all kinds of patterns and analyze which type of pattern we have:  A-B, A-A B-B, A-B-B, etc.  Then it is always fun to create new shapes to repeat the pattern! 

We've also been graphing like crazy this week!  I absolutely LOVE using A. Bradley's first grade CCSS vocabulary cards to introducing new learning objectives.  Pictured above, I taped the CCSS math vocabulary to the easel and when the kids come up to add their post-it, I ask them to define or explain one of the terms for me.  LOVE the Fast and Easy assessments!

What do I have in store for you tomorrow?
Please stop back for the big reveal!  

Also, check out this amazing blog, Technology Rocks, Seriously.
BlogButton
It, seriously ROCKS with a ton of Gingerbread resources for your smartboard, projector, and iPads!  With the recommendation, I picked up this FUN app for only 99 cents! 

iPhone Screenshot 1

 There are also some freebies on iTunes with an easy GINGERBREAD MAN search.  Check out:

Gingerbread FUN

Gingerbread House Maker

The Gingerbread Musical
iPhone Screenshot 1

3 comments:

  1. I am obsessed with all the great gingerbread ideas you have! Good stuff!

    I just realized you already received the Liebster Award... not sure how I missed that on your side bar.... probably just so into the gingerbread ideas... but I had just nominated you again...oops! You deserve it though.

    Christy
    Crayons and Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are doing Gingerbread this week, too & I am IN LOVE with all your cute activities. I also love the way you use the vocab cards & sticky notes for a quick assessment - what a great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I just saw your gingerbread pattern. I did my gingerbread unit this week, but I'm going to have to pick up some gingerbread marshmallows to do this next week. I know my students would love it!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover