Thursday, December 6, 2012

Day 4: Musubi Man, G-Baby, and our new Home for the holidays!

Where has this week gone?  Gingie, you exhaust me! 
Today was more chasing, and running, and gobbling up as we read two new versions of the Gingerbread Man.  This morning we read "The Musubi Man" which is the Hawaiian version.  This afternoon we read "Gingerbread Baby" by Jan Brett.  We used our strategy of Compare and Contrast using C.C. Cow from the Critter Cafe.

 



Math was a great learning adventure today, totally inspired by our friend Gingie!  We introduced two new CCSS terms:
Perimeter and Area
We used the Gingerbread Marshmallows to first find the perimeter of the gingerbread.
Then we measured the Area.  I was so thrilled that the students' guesses were very close!  Then we brought out the dice and had a blast with Roll-A-Gingerbread!
A fellow teacher gave this to me from a Google Search freebie!

Phonics: We are still working on R Blends so the kids partnered up for this activity:
Taken from a previous issue of Mailbox Magazine.

Expand Vocabulary:  Students worked with partners to discuss and organize these Gingie words in ABC order!

Freebie from Enchanted Learning.com
Work on Writing:  Students recorded the process of baking Gingerbread Cookies in their journals!

Art:  Hmmm...  I wonder what our big Reveal is today!?!

Ta-Da!  Our Gingie House made from Target Gift Wrap!
I have never attempted anything like this before, so imagine my joy!


We added our Gingerbread Friends and now we are one big, happy family!  

Tomorrow is our last day of Gingie!  We will either have good news or bad news.  Stay tuned for the season finale of The Gingerbread Man, here on this bloggy channel, tomorrow evening!  

9 comments:

  1. Very cool week. I think I may be planning a G-man unit during my Christmas vacation (for next year). Thanks for the inspiration. Have a great Friday!
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I just love your big gingerbread house!
    Thanks for grabbing my blinkie. It looks great:)

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh! I can't believe I forgot to mention The Gingerbread Baby!!! And Musabi Man? I don't have that!!! Now I have to go look for one! Several years ago at my mom's house we did a Greek Christmas and I wrote The Baklava Man. It was fun! Thanks for stopping by. I'm going to grab your button. Catch me if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad I found you too! Totally loving all of your gingerbread ideas..and books I need to add to my collection (definitely my favorite unit)! So many new ones. I will be writing up my blog post this weekend about all of our gingerbread fun so be sure to check it out!!

    Lindsay
    For the Love of First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to have you following the Critter Cafe! Thank you!

      Julie

      Delete
  5. Julie, I SAID I was going to grab your button, but I can't find it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richi,
      I am working on finding a new blog design! Just need the right person for the job! My button is YOURS as soon as I get one!
      Julie
      Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

      Delete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog.
    Looks like you and your kids are having a lot of gingerbread fun. I love your gingerbread marshmallows - haven't seen anything like them here :(.
    I am happy to be your newest follower.

    sandi
    rubberboots and elf shoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi,
      I am thrilled to have you following the Critter Cafe! Thank you! The marshmallows are from Meijer (WalMart carries them too!) The kids love using them for math and then eating them!
      Have a great weekend!
      Julie
      Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

      Delete

Your comments add a sparkle to my day!
I love responding to you via email.
Thank you so much for stopping by the First Grade Critter Cafe'!

Pin It button on image hover