Friday, January 11, 2013

Dazzling Dinosaurs Exhibit

Our first week of the new year turned out to be an amazing adventure of dinosaur discoveries!  Instead of saving the best for last, I'm starting with my FAVORITE first!!  We made DINOSAURS today!  YAY!  What a blast.  The gym was available this afternoon so I took long stretches of butcher paper and spread the kids out across the floor.  We used blue 12 x 18 sheets of construction paper and oil pastels.  It was a messy, fabulous time!  Take a peek at my inspiring artists-





The finished result:  Our DAZZLING DINOSAURS hallway exhibit!  



I had so much fun with this project!  Even made one myself...
Do you see the bright green and orange polka-dot dinosaur hanging above?
Yes, that's right.  I hung mine up too.  The kids insisted! 
Deep Space Sparkle is my favorite website for first grade art projects.  I also was inspired by many ideas on Pinterest.  After this post, check out my Pinterest Board: First Grade Art Ideas!
Now, more about our week!


We read some awesome Dino Literature and introduced our new Read to Someone Puppets.


 And speaking of wild reptiles,
Iggy, the Inferring Iguana stopped by the Critter Cafe this week and brought many visual aids to help us infer!

Of course our Writing theme this week was All About Dinosaurs!
We used text features from our favorite Dino books
to guide our topic and help with supporting details.


After school tonight, I received an email from Barbara over at the Corner on Character.  I was her LUCKY winner of this autographed copy of "The Potato Chip Champ" a new book by Maria Dismondy.  HOT DOG!!!  So excited!

  Speaking of hot dogs, Maria is also the author of another favorite of mine, Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun. If you don't already have it, be sure to add it to your MUST-HAVE list!  

You can visit Maria's blog here-
  
And then head over to Barbara's blog for some much needed inspiration and creativity!  
The Corner On Character
That's all for now my friends!  Have a DaZzLiNg weekend!
Julie ;-)

8 comments:

  1. I teach an after school art class for kindergarteners and first graders. I have found some good ideas on Deep Space Sparkle. I'm now following your art Pinterest board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you do so much art with your students. I am trying to be brave and do that as well. Art in college was a class that I did not like, so I have to get over that. Thanks for your inspiration, and the links.
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dinosaurs turned out SO cute! I love that you hung yours up too! My kids would have insisted as well! Deep Space Sparkle is one of the greatest places for art ideas! Can you say ADDICTED?!

    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, your dinosaurs are too much fun. The kids did such a great job with them. I'm sure they're getting lots of ooohs and ahhhhs!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deep Space Sparkle is amazing! So many great ideas!
    And, when I saw that you were the winner of the book from Barbara it made me smile so big! Congrats!
    Hugs - Lisa
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for following me! I followed you right back! So happy to connect with other first grade teachers.
    BTW...The dinosaurs look awesome! My kiddo would love them!
    Sharon

    Buggy for First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dinosaur exhibit looks amazing and I bet the kids LOVED it!
    Thanks for sharing:)

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your activities looks so fun and creative! I tend to stick to 2nd grade blogs, but man have I been missing out!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add a sparkle to my day!
I love responding to you via email.
Thank you so much for stopping by the First Grade Critter Cafe'!

Pin It button on image hover