Saturday, January 26, 2013

Quincy the Questioner and MLK

What a week!  PHEW!  It's done.  We had 3 (2 hour delays) due to extreme cold and snow.  And you know how that weighs on the kiddos and their "on task" behaviors.  I did manage to "teach" a few great lessons that complimented our Heroes in History unit.  Rosa Parks, Ruby Bridges, and our favorite, MLK.  Today, I made this little topper to go on our bulletin board in the hallway.  After an inspiring week of teaching about empathy, compassion, and forgiveness, this was a little icing on the cake!



MLKjr: Week in Pictures!
We did my version of a Museum Walk before introducing our Heroes in History by  looking at the covers of the books in the baskets. 

Students who had some prior knowledge on any of the 3 famous figures would record their thoughts on a post-it and then place it on the matching poster. 



A Hero's Life
I just love the interactive online Scholastic Weekly Reader.  CCSS aligned with videos, games, and key vocabulary at your fingertips!

 Thank you Miss Latoya Reed for sharing your wonderful follow-up MLK unit for FREE on TPT. The kids loved recording their MLK adjectives/verbs on the bubble map.  

 I borrowed Deanna Jump's idea and the kiddos called this our "EGGSperiment".
What a gentle yet powerful teaching lesson on diversity!
 
I was so proud of the enormous amount of text-to-world connections the children were making.  I couldn't pass that up so I made this template for us to record on.  
If you would like a copy, click here for the download.

Room 102 sure does have HEART!
These first graders will change the world someday! 
 Big hearts, Big Dreams!

And if that wasn't  enough, Quincy the Questioning Owl was hired in at the Critter Cafe this week.  He is teaching us how to ask great questions as we read!  


 I've tied in all areas of ELA to include Quincy, including our Spelling words for the week and everything else I could find that had the (wh) hunk and chunk in it!!
I love Scholastic's Big Flip Book of graphic organizers for reading comprehension.  The story elements butterfly was a perfect fit this week!



I need to pay homage to the teacher who created these AMAZING questioning cards!
I have been using them like crazy this week and now the kids are picking them up and asking questions as well!
Please help me find this wonderful teacher so I can give her credit and kuddos!
What a short week, but a great week for learning!  Have a wonderful weekend my dear, sweet friends!  I am off to see my better half tonight!
xoxo, 


10 comments:

  1. Looks like a great week, despite the weather. I pinned the prior knowledge posters. Thank you!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hand-heart picture, it is wonderful. 3 2-hour delays? Wow! Enjoy a relaxing weekend!
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the hand heart picture! I do a movie as my end of year gift to my students and their families. That would be so cute to have as a part of it. Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVING your new blog design AND the heart picture! That is too good! I'm going to have to do that in my room too. Thanks for the freebie. And Quincy is so cute. I have a thing for owls!

    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a thing for owls, too! That's why I vote for your blog post as the cutest I've read tonight! I need to get a questioning owl...I think I may already have one!
    Jenny
    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! Cute! Cute! Love this! I am a newbie & am always on the lookout for great blogs to follow! I am your newest follower!
    wendy
    Http://1stgradefireworks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all of your pictures! We have had 3 delays in the last 5 days, too. It is foggy right now, so I am thinking another one might happen tomorrow on our 100th day! Thanks for the great ideas!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julie!
    I am so glad you found me so I could find you!! Your blog is so fun!! I love the Beanie Babies! I use them too! I have to go check out the book The Critter Cafe! (I've already been checking out some of your old posts!) I look forward to reading even more!
    Kim
    TheVeryBusyFirstGraders

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love what you did for MLK! I'm your newest follower, drop by =)

    Just Wild About Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just LOVE all of your MLK activities. They look like a blast! Thanks for sharing that freebie :) I'm so excited that I found your blog - it is fabulous. Thanks for entering my 100 follower giveaway! It looks like you are getting close to 100 too! Wahoo!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add a sparkle to my day!
I love responding to you via email.
Thank you so much for stopping by the First Grade Critter Cafe'!

Pin It button on image hover