Wednesday, February 6, 2013

100th Day Celebration: This is How We Roll in Room 102!

3- 2-1- HOORAY!  Hooray for the 100th Day!!!!
 This is my 11th year of teaching first grade and today's celebration is right up there with the Gingerbread Man and The Elf!
I can no longer FIT everything into a file folder...Nope.  I have a 54 gallon Rubbermaid tote housing all my 100's day goodies!  
Wink, Wink!!!  This teacher L.O.V.E.S. 100 Day!!!!



  The following is our special "Mystery Bag" homework assignment that goes home the week before 100's Day.
Click on the image above for a free, editable copy!
One week later, the bags come back to school decorated and ready for a fabulous inferring lesson!
Our 100th Day Morning Work:
1. 100th Day award- Color and Decorate (Mel D.'s fabulous freebie!)
2. My 100th Day Estimation Bags:
I have two sets.  One set is in numerical order.  The other is alphabetical.  I rotate each year!
 
After students finish task #1 (coloring and decorating their awards), they can walk up and begin "estimating" starting with bag #1.


Students record their data on the following Estimation Sheet.

Click on the image above  to grab your editable copy for next year!
The only rule is no touching the bags and no poking around!
 We discuss the estimation results during our Morning Meeting and give MIGHTY OH YEAHS to our closest winners!!  We give out  scentedly-delicious scratch and sniffer stickers to our top estimators of the day!

The following parent request letter is sent home about a week and a half before the big day!  This is in preparation for our 100th Day STEW!
Click on the image to grab your editable copy for next year!


Teacher Read Aloud:
Front Cover

The Graphic Organizer:
Reading Response Road Maps: Comprehension-Boosting Reproducibles for 50 Favorite Picture Books That Guide Children to Stop and Think as They Read
Inside this AWESOME manual, is a page just for The Wolf's Chicken Stew!  If your a reciprocal teaching buff like me, you'll want to grab this teaching guide!  Got it free with my bonus points from Scholastic!  

If your voice has run out of steam, 
try this great YOU TUBE read aloud of story!

Time to make the doughnuts!  I mean, STEW!
The 100th Day of School wouldn't be complete without our 100th Day STEW! 
My little Carter, took over as photographer during the making of the stew! He did great!
Stew Directions:
Begin by lining a tub with clear, plastic bag.





One at a time, 
For the WOW factor,
pour in each item! 


 SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE!!!!!
Gently return the stew to the tub.
 Use a small pitcher to scoop out cup fulls!

I cup out and fill a gallon-size Ziploc half full of stew...
One half bag per student.
26 kids.
This stew makes plenty and is so YUMMY Delicious!  
But we don't eat the stew just yet!
Time to use our 100th Day Stew and sort it on our Sorting Placemats!
I have some great pics of the sorting, but didn't have time to blur out the kids faces....sorry!
 While the kids are "stewing" away,
I read another favorite to the class!
Then it's time for 100 Licks!
How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center?
Will it be close to 100?
Students use a Tootsie Roll Pop and record EACH "full" lick.
One tally for each lick.
(And yes, I demonstrate, while trying to contain my laughter, the proper way to do a full lick!)  

If this looks fun to you, Click on the image below.  
I will trade happy feedback on TPT for a free copy just for you!  






 Another great sweet treat math estimation game I do uses Starburst Fruit Chews.  

I have also made this a freebie on TPT so leave a little feedback and its yours for free!  Click on the image below to grab it!

The best part of the 100th day of school.....  The Teacher's VEST!  I have 100 pins on it. You know--those pins that you accumulate through years of being a classroom teacher- I just put them all to good use!  YAY!  

 Here's my little cutie pies and their 100th Day awesomeness!






We are still working on our ART projects.... Students used their Mystery Bag items to create a mural celebrating our 100th day of school...  Finishing tomorrow!




HOORAY for 100 Day!
xoxoxo,

26 comments:

  1. Holy Crow!! Your 100th day looks amazing!! I will definitly be using some of these fabby fab ideas next year. Thank you soooooooo much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your day looks so fun Julie! Thank you for sharing all the great ideas! I am NOT waiting until next year to do the Tootsie Pop or Starburst experimetns!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your 100th day! I'm definitely stealing your idea of the mystery bag. My kids bring a collection of 100 things, but I haven't been excited about what we do with their collections. Your idea is brilliant!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps with this inspiration my class next year will have a celebration worth celebrating. Looks fabulous. Can I come be in YOUR class?
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't the 100th day the best!? It looks like you and the kids had a ton of fun. I love the VEST! And the stew looks yummy too! My kids love that part of the 100th day too. Thanks for sharing Julie!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were busy! We're at day 93 so we're almost there!
    PS - I LOVE the vest :)
    Laureen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely LOVE the eyeball hat! Too cute! I too am your newest follower. Thank you so much for checking out my blog. I just started in October and am super excited to have 17 followers, I can't wait until I am up to 100. That almost sounds unbelievable! I'm enjoying it though! Have a great rest of the week.

    Karen Rowland
    Adventures With Firsties

    karenrowland112677@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the mystery bags...too cute. Well, I pretty much love everything you put here. The 100th day of school is definitely one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing your ideas and freebies.

    Wallis
    First Grade Wolves

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome ideas! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the ideas! Thanks for sharing. I will be using your ideas this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found you via Pinterest-love your 100th Day ideas, especially the Tootsie Pop station! I will be using this new idea this year...and I added some kind feedback in return for the freebie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have inspired me to enjoy my one hundred day even more! These are the best ideas I have seen and will be adding many of these to my day this year! We all deserve a celebration for making it through 100 days!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can not wait for 100th day of school!! Thanks for the ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! You really have some awesome ideas! Our 100th day is this Friday and I will be adding several of your ideas. Thank you for sharing!
    Buggy for First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your 100th Day activities! I will certainly be including some of your fabulous ideas>

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where can I find a copy of your 100th Day Sorting Mat? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just did the 100th day stew with my 1st graders and they absolutely loved it. And we have enough snack to last us for about a month (I scooped the left overs into old snack tubs). Thank you so much for the freebies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE your 100th day Ideas. Ours is the day after we get back from Spring break, on the 25th! There are so many good ideas out there it's going to be SO hard to pick the ones my first graders will have the most fun with.

    Mrs. D @ Reading with Mrs. D

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE your ideas!! I can't wait to use them on the 100th day of school this year!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add a sparkle to my day!
I love responding to you via email.
Thank you so much for stopping by the First Grade Critter Cafe'!

Pin It button on image hover