Monday, February 4, 2013

LOVE BIRDS

Teaching with Moxie is having this fabulously fun photo challenge and I just had to join in on the fun!
I am loving BIRDCAGES at the moment and Pinterest has so many cute ones to ponder for inspiration- I knew my kids would love to do it for a Valentine's Day project!  We are calling it,
LOVE BIRDS!

We started with white card stock and black sharpie markers.
We made a starting point at the top,
and then found our "center".
We drew the wooden perch  first.
Second step-drawing the bird.
Third step-drawing the bottom of the cage.
The last step-drawing the bars of the cage.

I had this set up as a station in the hallway!
During certain rotations throughout the day, 
students went out and added watercolors to the drawing.





Final Masterpiece!  




If you have a sweet and lovable February project, head on over to Teaching with Moxie and link up for her awesome giveaway!
xoxoxoxo,
PS:
If you are searching for that perfect piece of art, look no further! I adore the beautiful creativity over at Art Projects for Kids!  Kathy welcomes you with open arms!  Kathy, thank you for all of your inspiration!

14 comments:

  1. Those love birds are too cute! I am stealing....um borrowing this idea!! :0)
    Buggy for First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again...you have inspired me to do art with my kids. Thanks for the idea and step by step instructions! Love it.
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your love birds. This is the perfect post for the linky! We made a pair of watercolour lovebirds last year for Valentine's Day - the ones from Art Projects for Kids. I love the birds in the cages though - too cute!

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Love Birds are adorable! I am amazed at how well your first graders draw with sharpies. And I'm curious about the watercolors....do they come in the bottles that you have on the table? The colors are so vibrant! And I love how you showed them how to put curly-Q's on the letters of their name. You are so talented! I may attempt this for a Mother's Day project! Thank you so much for sharing this and for linking up to the February Photo challenge!

    Diane
    Teaching With Moxie

    ReplyDelete
  5. These came out amazing!!! I can't believe they were made by first graders!!!

    -Jessica
    A Turn to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your art projects!! Can I come be in your class??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a Phonics Dance question for you. We're learning ay and ai this week, but the ay chant is weird. It seems like it starts mid sentence or something. It starts with "Some letters a" Is that right? Do you change that one up at all?

    rowdyinfirstgrade@yahoo.com

    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love them! :)

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love all the color on the birds paintings. Thanks for sharing.

    Em
    curiousfirsties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh. My. Gosh! I sort of LOVE your "love birds" paintings!! (So much that I want to do it with my firsties!!!)
    It looks great! And I love the vibrant colors! I love the way the finished product looks just like it would be made by a kid! I love the attention to detail that was obviously paid by the kids! I just love everything! :)

    On a different note, you're a winner!

    I hope you have a great week!
    -Carrie
    Floating Through First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Julie, I just fell in love! The birds are absolutely adorable. I showed them to my kiddos and now they are begging to make them too. You are truly and inspiration an very creative!
    Michelle J.

    ReplyDelete
  12. {HEART} your blog design! My classroom and son's nursery is Dr. Seuss :) Your Love Birds are cute, the kids did a wonderful job!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover