Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day Sweetness!

It was such a fantastic day!  I now have 11 Valentine's Day celebrations under my belt, and this was, by far, my favorite!
 Much of it came from the fabulous ideas all my teacher blogger friends are doing! Thank you so much for inspiring me!

This was my first time making the heart crayons for the kids and I am definitely doing this AGAIN!  I loved it!  My sweetie-pie discovered that he could make a quick slice on each crayon with his wallpaper trimming knife and the rest of the label would peel right off!  
I followed your directions and cooked them on 250 
for 25 minutes.  




Talk about MELTING hearts!
The kids were filled with so much LOVE when they saw the crayons today!

This is my little card I made for the sweeties!  
Click on it and grab it for next year. I left it edible!
 This is our Valentine's Day letter to the parents-
First we brainstormed the template.

 Then we added the text and squiggly frame.
(Boy did the kids have fun making the squiggles!)
Next, we cut out our heart poem and added our love birds.
 Finally, we stapled on our Class HEART and took black sharpies to write "Happy Valentine's Day" on the front!
(This card idea is a TPT unit I am currently working on, so I will let you know as soon as it is finished!)

We started the day with a Morning Message and a Valentine's Day ABC word sort!


Then we got busy with JEN JONES' Valentine's Day Scrapbooks!
What a fabulous idea!  Thanks Jen!
My scrapbooking tips:
Have a parent volunteer trace and cut out the hearts before the party.
I have 24 students.
Each student got 6 hearts.
I stapled the book 4 times in the upper-left hand corner!



 Then I got a special delivery from the handsome Italian!!!
He is so fabulous!


Then we had some fun with SINK or FLOAT!
We experimented with 3 heart candies:
Sweethearts, Tart Hearts, and Marshmallow Hearts!
After recess and lunch, the sweeties filled out their bingo cards with February words and used their conversation hearts as bingo chips!  SO FUN!!!

Then the kids delivered their MAIL into these fabulously-fun mailboxes!



 The kids were so excited to add their cards to the Scrapbooks!

Finally we celebrated, as all great first grade classrooms do on such a sweet and awesome day!  We had our "Love Punch" too but it needed it's own table!

I have been BLESSED with good luck this 2013!
I won several Amazing Valentine's Day units from some FABULOUS teachers so I need to give them a SHOUT OUT!  
Love you girls!!! 
 
 These are must-haves for your next year's collection!



 
 
And then my dear, sweet Lisa over at Growing Firsties outdid herself with these 2 charming and common core crunching units that I just can't get enough of! 
  
 What I find most VALUABLE about Lisa's Common Core Crunch unit is the fact there is NO cutting, NO stapling, NO laminating.  Just print off the sets, distribute, DONE!   YAY!

My last sweet SHOUT OUT goes to my girl Sarah.
Have you seen this?
Oh. My. Word.  
LOVED every page and guess what she included?
The CCSS number....on EVERY page!
This saved me TONS of time looking up the CCSS in the flip books during my weekly planning!
Sarah, you are out-of-this-world AWESOME!

Don't forget!
My 100 follower giveaway is still going on!
Please enter for your chance to win some LOVELY literature signed by the author!
Click here 
Happy Valentine's Day to all my sweet and lovely teacher friends!
XOXO,

10 comments:

  1. Wow! You guys had a ton of fun! I love those crayon hearts. I keep meaning to do that.
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your crayon hearts look fabulous. We tried that a couple of years ago, but went a little nuts pealing the paper off the crayons. Did you have a trick? I also love your hand heart picture. Wonderful idea.

    sandi
    rubberboots and elf shoes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I join your classroom!? Your day looked like so much fun! Thank you for the sweet shout out! It made my day. :) I love those crayon hearts. So cute.

    Love your blog Julie!
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see how the crayons would be a big hit and the rest of your day looks just as wonderful, with a visit from a handsome Italian to boot!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crayons and scrapbooks...Lovely. Notes are going into my planning book for next year. Thanks for the ideas!
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww - you are just the sweetest thing, Julie!!! I loved this ENTIRE post - wish I could hang out in your lucky class!!! Scrapbooks - SO fabulous!!! Simple AND fab! Loved seeing the lovely shout out, too. Thanks a million, girl!!!
    Hugs upon hugs upon hugs - Lisa
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I LOVE your blog design! I've always wanted to make cute shaped crayons for my firsties. How long did it take you to unwrap all the crayons?

    Angie
    The First Grade Scoop
    I'll be having a 100 follower giveaway - stop by, follow my blog, and get ready for some goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie...it looks like your sweeties had a GREAT day thanks to you and your parent volunteers. I'm so glad your students and their parents enjoyed the scrapbooks so much. I did add a hearts sheet for students to use on the cover *after* the original upload...and here's the link for anyone that wants it.
    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Valentines-Day-Scrapbook-for-Valentines-Day-Cards-from-Classmates
    Jen
    www.helloliteracy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Julie! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sink/float valentine candy idea - how fun!!! Thanks for sharing!
    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover