Saturday, March 2, 2013

5 for Friday: A Seusstastic Week!

I have linked up for my very first 5 for Friday! YAY! Grab a  bubbly beverage and read on my friends!
1. Last Year, I went crazy-nuts with unleashing Common Core Essential Questions, Objectives  and I can statements all-over the classroom!  I am now realizing that it was a bit overwhelming for our littles and now I am rethinking the entire scheme of things to what matters most...to the kids and their engagement WITH the objectives.  So what do I do with all this common core material?  We took a vote!  I showed each of the anchor charts, learning cards, etc. to the kids and asked them to vote on only the ones they liked best.  Which one was helping them stay on target the most with what I was expecting them to learn? Hands down, 24 out of 24 students voted on the Anna Bradley Common Core Vocabulary cards!  These cards have the objective in large print (easy to read) and a simple statement of explanation.  Ahhh, YES!  K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Sista!)  So I took down the unnecessary, and created a cozy, little spot, right on the front board for our new weekly/biweekly learning objectives,  And the kids LOVE it! 
I asked the kiddos what colors I should use for the headers and they said "all of them!" So RAINBOW it is!  
I put all the other CCSS materials back in my handy dandy reference binder and this will be used for weekly planning purposes.  You can click here to read more from that previous post.


2. Earlier in the week, Kelly from First Grade Fairytales shared a simple and easy idea she calls the  HUSH BUTTON!  Click here to read more.  I thought this was a precious idea and after just a few practices during teaching class rules (WBT), I had students doing it independently to others as the voice volumes got too high.... One student was giving the signal but the other student did not look over...So he said, "Tara, I really think it is time for your Hush Button!" (Oh my word, how funny is that!!)
 Kelly has shared so many wonderful freebies with us this week, I just want to repay the favor and offer this to her and all of you. Click on the image for a copy!
3. My sweet Megan over at I Teach, What's Your Super Power? blogged recently about an online behavior management/incentive program called Class Dojo.  After checking it out on Monday, I had my kids signed in and ready for Tuesday!  Megan, it ROCKS girl! 
My class LOVES it and I used it all week with night and day results!  WBT + Class Dojo + Hush Button = Marvelous Year in First Grade!  And did I mention that you can send a code home for parents to view and track their child's behavior performance?  It's so cool!  Thanks Megan for sharing your secret weapon with me!!

4. and 5.  Seuss week was Seusstastic!  


These awesome Dr. Seuss templates came from Art Projects for Kids!
I find myself using Kathy's projects more than any other website this year!
Room 102 LOVES Miss Kathy's ideas!



The Principal even visited Room 102 and read a Seuss story to us!
Then she left this bag of Seuss goodies in my mailbox!
Our award says, "Most Seuss ENTHUSIASM!"



I have seen all the cute, very stylish pictures of my beautiful blogging teacher friends...Well this outfit will ROCK your SOCKS off!  HAHA!  Yes I am a Seuss-a-holic!







 Got this FANTASTIC idea from Pinterest!  Our very own Truffela Garden!


Many, Many Thanks to Kacey, over at Doodle Bugs (First Grade Rocks) for inviting me to join this weekly tradition! I hope you keep it going Kacey! I would love to do it again!
fiveforfriday

XOXOXO, 

10 comments:

  1. Their Seuss hats are cute and so are you! :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an absolutely adorable blog you have! I can't believe I'm just discovering it. Everything is so bright and cheery in your room. I went back and read all your old blog posts as well. Can't wait to see more! :)

    Cindy
    Granny Goes to School

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the Dr. Seuss pictures! I keep seeing those cute "Thing 1" and "Thing 2" bags on a lot of blogs! Where did you get yours? What a fun week!

    Heather
    All the Dots

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun week you all had! Love all of your ideas! What a wonderful bag of goodies from your principal! We aren't required to post common core standards yet so I am holding off as long as possible!
    :)Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm your newest follower :) I LOVE your blog design! SO CUTE!!! Looks like you had a blast for Read Across America Day! That Truffela garden is AWESOME!!

    Angela :)
    Hippo Hooray for Second Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Truffela garden! It looks like you had a crazy week. I hope you were able to get some rest this weekend.

    Krystyn

    Ms. Richards's Musings
    msrichardssmusings@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Seuss activities look like so much fun! It's almost state writing test time in 5th, so we have to forgo some of the cool stuff for now. I really need to check out Class Dojo. Sounds so simple! Thanks for following my blog and I'm a new follower of yours, too!

    Hokie Teach

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Class Dojo and so do my kids/parents!! I also love all of your cute Suess activities :) So glad I found your blog and can now follow along!

    Nikki
    Thecozyclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, LOVE that your kids voted for my Common Core vocabulary cards!!! YEAH!! They rock and so do you!!! Thanks for sharing, Julie!!!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover