Friday, March 8, 2013

5 for Friday: Engagement update!

Where did this week go?  
BuzzzzzzzzED right on by! 
So before I collapse of utter exhaustion, 
I have just enough umph to join Miss Kacey for her.....
[fiveforfriday%255B5%255D.jpg]
1.  The handsome Italian and I have officially set the date!
 
  May 24, 2014 at 2pm.  
The wedding celebration will be held at my parish,  
Our Lady, Queen of the Most Holy~ Rosary Cathedral.
 This next photo was taken during The Toledo Symphony's performance!  
 
Awesome is right! 
Next item on the to-do list--
Venues for reception!  YAY!  

2.  Thursday night was fabulous!  I got to celebrate Christmas in March with my best friend Angie. We are two educators, with extremely busy lives....and FINALLY got together to celebrate and open presents!  Did I mention we had Margaritas and Chimichangas too!  It felt so good to not have a school bag in hand or piece of technology buzzing in my purse.. Just two BFF's laughing, and talking, and sharing cocktails over dinner!  I asked Angie to be my Matron of Honor and she almost cried.  I NEVER expected that reaction and it really made me feel like no matter how much time may pass, we are always just a heartbeat away!

3.  Room 102 has a new strategy friend working at the Critter CAFE this week!  Please help us welcome Hop-Ahead Hare.  She is a Fluency Friend helping us scan and hop ahead while we read to see what punctuation is coming next. Once we know what it is, we can adjust our voices just right!  Junie B. Jones is a great daily teacher read aloud reinforcement of that strategy with the whole group! 



4.  Pigeons, Pigeons, EVERYWHERE! To expand upon our newest Fluency strategy, attend to punctuation, we spiced up our writing this week with a fantastic idea from First Grade Fairytales.  Kelly shared her LOVE for author Mo Willems and her anchor chart she used for practicing the Four Types of Sentences. (Click here to read more). I happily hopped on that PIGEON train and look what we accomplished this week!
  Kelly graciously shared her PIGEON template with me and VOILA!  It's Pigeon madness in the hallway!




5.  LOCO for COCOA!
I found these pictures floating in a "draft" from last month, so better late than never, right!  Fluttering Through First Grade had an amazing post last month on how they celebrated Winter with a super-sweet and yummy Hot Chocolate unit!   LOCO for COCOA they called it!  How could I resist something that delicious?!  We had our own celebration, over 3 days in February, and look at some of this goodness.....

Fast and easy graphic organizer on the board using the food packages.

After letting the cocoa simmer all day, 
we wrote describing words that covered the 5 senses.

Then on to our Directional "How to" writing!


Kristy and Tammy have the yummy Cocoa recipe and writing template as a freebie so click here to visit and pick up your copies for next year!
Many Thanks to Mrs. Morgan for her "How to Make Hot Cocoa" craftivity.
First Grade Hip Hip Hooray had a great Cocoa post and freebies to share too!

Phew! Ok. I am done!
Let the TGIF begin!
Happy weekend my dear, sweet friends!

14 comments:

  1. There are so many fabulous things in this post, I don't know where to start, so I think I will zero in on one - Congrats on your engagement! It's going to be a great day, the church is gorgeous, I am so happy for you Julie:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pigeons. They are super cute. We just finished a whole author study on Mo Willems. We had so much fun! Thanks for sharing.

    Em
    Curious Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is going to be one amazingly beautiful wedding. I can only imagine the acoustics too. Wow!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love doing the pigeon books for dialogue. We'll have to do the 4 sentence types next! The pigeons your kiddos did are adorable!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful setting for your wedding! Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yippee! Thanks for sharing about your wedding. Gorgeous! And I love that hot chocolate. Next year, right? I'm making my "Julie did it list and I want to do it also" and on it goes. Have a great weekend!
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on setting the date! It sounds like you had another crazy week. Thank goodness spring break is coming up. I agree, it is so hard to get together with friends during the school year.

    Krystyn
    Ms. Richards's Musings
    msrichardssmusings@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the church pictures! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, WOW, WOW!!! I just found your blog and it is **Amazing!** I look forward to browsing through all of your old posts!!! :) I looked for your follower icon but did not see one...am I missing it?
    Have a great weekend!!
    Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on setting the date! Very exciting!! Rosary Cathedral is gorgeous! I always forget that you are so close by! We will have to get together one of these days!!

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the pigeons! And the hot chocolate organizer on your board. How clever and a great visual for your students!

    Heather
    All the Dots

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I am your newest follower.

    Terri
    The First Grade Princess

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add a sparkle to my day!
I love responding to you via email.
Thank you so much for stopping by the First Grade Critter Cafe'!

Pin It button on image hover