Saturday, March 30, 2013

Eggs, Snails, and Buffet Lines....Oh My!

Ok, so I am s--n--e--a--k--ing in a day late but you will forgive me...right?  Many thanks to Doodle Bugs Teaching for hosting this week's Five for Friday!

[fiveforfriday%255B12%255D.jpg]
#1 Main Idea and Details:
We created a WBT action of extending our paws (hands) outward with a swift digging in the ground motion!  The kids just gobbled it up! And, wouldn't you know that the rest of the week, when it was time to summarize and find the main idea, I had 2 dozen silent gestures digging away!!!  LOVED that!
 Several years ago at one of the Reading Recovery Conferences in Columbus, I purchased a ton of these retelling bracelets.
  I always used them during guided reading, but this week, we used them everyday!  Each day, 4 new students got to pick a bracelet and that would be their task for the read aloud.  After reading a new story, each student would come up and address the group with a thinking stem starter and I would script onto a graphic organizer!  The kids had a blast and I discovered quickly that this comprehension skill was an easier one for my kiddos!
 I am encouraging myself to try more anchor charts 
(although my handwriting is YET to be desired!)
 

#2
It was all about the EGGS this week!  So many wonderful contributions from teacher bloggers!  Some favorites were the Inferring Eggs and the Making Word Eggs!

 Sarah, the suspense was killing my kids today! They loved the inferring eggs! Thanks dear!
 Reagan, the kids adored your Phon-Egg Making Words activity!  Thanks so much!

#3
Easter Bunny's Assistant Job Applications were a HUGE hit!
My kids were even so brilliant as to suggest putting up a privacy wall during completion of the application process since this is what they have seen in other venues such as local retail stores with private booths for completing applications! How cute is that! 





If you missed this freebie last week, no worries! Click here.

#4  
Our Easter Buffet line...I am working on more healthy snacks!




#5 
Finishing a Fantastic Week with some Fantastic Art!
I just bought "Swirl by Swirl" from Scholastic and thought it was a perfect lead-in to my April Art History studies.  It focuses on the "form and function" of swirls which took us right into our project titled, "Journey of a Snail".  
The photo pictured above right, is from Art Projects for kids. I printed it off so I could explain the steps to my littles.
 Black Sharpies on 8 1/2 by 11 white cardstock.
We started with drawing the stem and base of mushroom first.
 Then we added the 2 side mushrooms and snail and grass.

 We used crayon colors for the snail's body, and center circles for little shrooms.

 Then we added the watercolors for the sky and grass and mushrooms!


 Final Masterpieces!
  




Kathy has been such an inspiration to me this year! Be sure to check out her blog.  She adds new projects almost daily! 

My giveaway is running through Thursday, so if you haven't entered to win Peter's new book, please do!
Click here to enter.

Have a safe and FABULOUS Easter weekend my friends!
We all deserve it!
Love and Hugs,

15 comments:

  1. That is SO crazy you did those snails! They are in my plans this week to do for our upcoming Open House. They look awesome! So glad to have found you through Doodle Bugs!

    Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the art work. They turned out great. I wish I could do more art in the classroom.

    Krystyn

    Ms. Richards's Musings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your snails are adorable! Love them! You mentioned Reading Recovery. Are you trained? I was trained about 16 years ago, and did it ever change me. :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where can I even start?!? I love your WBT digging thing for main idea and details. And those bracelets seemed to magically fit right in as well! I would love to see my Little Loves digging their way through their independent reading books. So cute! I am also working hard on my anchor charts this year. It is time consuming but the results have been well worth it. Thanks for the sweet comments on my blog!
    ~Danielle
    My First Love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie! Looks like you had a great week! Hope you have a nice weekend!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad your kids loved the egg activity too! Such a hit! The more anchor charts you make (and the more ideas you get from pinterest) the better they will get...don't give up!

    Lindsay
    For the Love of First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful activities!! Love how the snails turned out!!!!

    Janaye
    Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a lot of great ideas. I like your anchor charts! And the snails and job applications - what fun!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am completely in love with the way you teach comprehension. If I come to Ohio this summer, could we spend a day and talk shop?????

    Lovely snails. They are on my list now.
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your slugs and mushrooms are FABULOUS! I like Kathy's blog, too!
    I'm also so glad you posted your umbrella anchor chart. I've got that same set of charts in my room and I totally forgot about them. I'm pulling it out next week.
    Happy Easter!
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved those snails will have to put them on my lessons to do. You had such a fun week! What a great way to teach comprehension. So many great ideas. I am now your newest follower. Hope you can come check out my blog when you get a chance.

    Cindy
    First Grade A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute!! I'm stopping by because I follow Growing Firsties! I just started following you, can't wait to try your Easter Bunny's Assistant position! thanks so much!! You're So Sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julie - Those snails are so stickin' cute I laughed out loud! Also, LOVE your main idea/details ideas!!!

    I had to give you some love on my Shout Out linky (Sarah gave you some love on hers, too)...you are so darn fabulous, girl!

    Hugs - Lisa
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey There Hey!,

    I had to stop by after your sweet comments on my page. Thanks for that =)

    I love your blog! It is so stinking cute!

    I really like those bracelets I am going to see if I can find some for my firsties!

    I'm your 200th follower congrats!!!

    http://fearlessin1.blogspot.com/

    -Sammy

    -Sammy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add a sparkle to my day!
I love responding to you via email.
Thank you so much for stopping by the First Grade Critter Cafe'!

Pin It button on image hover