Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Must Read Mentor Text: Willow

Collaboration Cuties is hosting the most amazing linky!  
With my love for children's books and my udder addiction to buying so many books, 
I just had to join in on all the fun!  

As many of you know,
Denise Brennan Nelson
I am a HUGE Denise Brennan-Nelson fan.  
I am thrilled to pull out her books and get them ready to share throughout the duration of this linky and each book has a companion PDF file to download!  Free to you and me!  Thanks Denise! (This is why I love her so!)

My all-time favorite is "Willow".  April celebrates many Earthly treasures, this story included!  I am doing this unit in April to support my Young Artists/Young Authors/Earth Day Celebrations!
Willow by Denise Brennan-Nelson
Book Summary:
"Miss Hawthorn’s room is neat and tidy, not a pencil or paintbrush is out of place. And that’s how she likes it. And she likes trees that are colored green and apples that are painted red. Miss Hawthorn does not like things to be different or out of the ordinary. Into Miss Hawthorn’s classroom comes young Willow. She doesn't color inside the lines, she breaks crayons, and she sees pink trees and blue apples. What will Miss Hawthorn think? Magical things can happen when your imagination is allowed to run wild, and for Miss Hawthorn the notion of what is art and what is possible is forever changed."

Click HERE to go directly to Denise's website and scroll to the bottom of the page.  You will see a downloadable PDF file which contains 25 pages of glorious reading, writing, and math extension activities for the book!
While you're there, check out Denise's great new site design! Perhaps send her an email telling her I sent you for some Willow Goodies!  She is famous, and yet she always takes time to respond!  (This is another reason she is so awesome!)
I hope you enjoy this book reference and I would love to hear how you use "Willow" in your classroom!
Please consider linking up with Collaboration Cuties for this lovely weekly mentor text linky!
May our passion of children's books run wild!
xoxo,

5 comments:

  1. I'm on my way over! Thanks for a great resource!

    Irene

    Learning With Mrs. Leeby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm can't say I'm familiar with Denise Brennan-Nelson, but I will definitely be checking her out. Thanks for the great links, too.

    Meghan

    First Grade Hugs and High Fives

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for linking up! I have not heard of these books but this one sounds fantastic!!! I'm so glad you will be sharing different books from this author!! And it's amazing that she gives away resources for free! How awesome is that??

    Thank you again! See you soon for the next link up! ;O)
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie! Thanks for sharing about this fun book! It sounds like our kiddos would enjoy Willow! The downloadable resource from the author are fabulous!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add a sparkle to my day!
I love responding to you via email.
Thank you so much for stopping by the First Grade Critter Cafe'!

Pin It button on image hover