Saturday, April 13, 2013

Starry Nights and Rainbows

Happy Saturday all!!!  
So happy it's that time to share my week with you!
#1
On Monday, We had our long-awaited "My Robot" presentations!  I had 100% participation and the kids did an AMAZING job giving their oral reports!  
















#2
"Peach & Blue"
Peach and Blue
If I had to pick one story that truly touches my heart, it's Peach and Blue.  I made it to the last page and the tears just trickled down.  The kids were in shock but remained silent. I asked, "Why am I reacting to the story this way?"
At that moment, a flood gate opened and the kids just began sharing how the story was "from the heart!"
I wasn't planning on doing a follow-up with this, but I just had to get them writing about what they were thinking and feeling...







#3
Rainbows GALORE!
We were so inspired by all the pretty rainbows out there, we wanted to make some too!
I was going to have the kids use adjectives to describe themselves, BUT, they asked if they could pick nouns instead!  They were very interested in thinking of their favorite things that were each color of the rainbow.  How could I say no!








#4
Our science project was Pinterest inspired of course!
Making a Rainbow!!
We needed these four ingredients:

 I added 4 drops of each color, one at a time, into the milk, slowly....
 Add a squirt of dish soap, and be ready!!!
This picture does not do it justice.
It was a bubbling, tumbling, rolling rainbow extravaganza in the bowl for about two minutes!!!
The kids were bursting at the seams with this one!!
Loved it!

#5
April is my favorite time for art history!
We are reading and learning about VanGogh and I found a coloring page through a google search...
Not sure if about the copyright...
but I enlarged it to be 12x18.
Then we used oils to color!






 Thanks to Doodle Bugs Teaching for this 5 for Friday/Saturday tell all!!!  
fiveforfriday
Here's to a relaxing weekend to all of us!!
HUGS everyone!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Julie! The robots your kiddos made are super, super cute!! Looks like you guys had a great week!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those robots are so awesome!! The rainbows add a fun brightness to your room too!

    Angela :)
    Hippo Hooray for Second Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids did a wonderful job with their robots. They are so very creative!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post Julie! I want to do those rainbows now! I love the idea of thinking of nouns that begin with each color! I also can't wait to do the milk experiment! I was searching for an experiment using milk and saw that one, but it didn't sound exciting until you described it! Thanks for sharing!
    :)Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow your kids do some incredible work!!! Such high quality!
    You're brave crying in front of the kids- I've come very close to it a few times when reading chicken soup for the soul to them but have JUST held it in! I'm so glad I found your blog- even though we teach completely different ages your posts are so inspiring!

    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the rainbows and Starry Night pictures!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your week looks amazing!! I don't know how you get it all done :) The robots are precious, and I love the rainbows. Now, I'm going to have to go find that book...even though I DON'T want to cry ! haha

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another fabulous post Julie! Love, love and love. I love those robots! They turned out so great. I also love your rainbow activities. I've never made a rainbow before. How cool!

    I love how open you are with your students. :)

    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those robots are pretty incredible. The class did an awesome job!

    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover