Monday, May 13, 2013

Author Julie Rubini on Hidden Ohio and your chance to WIN!

Last Thursday was fantastic!  I had a sub at school so I could fulfill my Presidential duties and host The Toledo Area Council of the International Reading Association's annual Spring Author Festival.  It was AMAZING!  More than 300 students came through our morning sessions with the author...Woot, Woot!  Our special guest author was none other than Julie Rubini, a local celebrity here in T-Town.  She is a wife, mother of 3, city council member, and a published author!  She is also the founder of Claire's Day.  This is a beautiful book festival event held the third Saturday in May each year at the local Maumee Branch Library.  It began 12 years ago, in memory of her daughter Claire who died of a rare bone disease. Her daughter LOVED reading and Julie and her husband Brad continue to honor that celebration of reading each year at Claire's Day.  I was so fortunate to hear about this treasured author from my best friend Angie, who is a principal nearby that has worked with Julie at Claire's Day.  The best part of Claire's Day is that teachers are able to nominate one student from their classroom who may be below benchmark in reading but has shown improvement, growth and enthusiasm for reading over the course of the year.  I have one such student that is receiving a C.A.R.E. Award next Saturday!  I am tickled pink and couldn't be more proud!  To read more about Claire's Day, click here.
(from left to right) TACIRA's president-elect (Julie Greenberg, Author Julie Rubini, TACIRA President Julie Marciniak)  
3 Julie's! That's awesome!
Julie has since published her first book, Hidden Ohio, an amazing tell-all about our fabulous state!
This book is perfect for intermediate students but also a treasure to primary students for it's Hidden pictures and fun facts about local treasures in our town!

More than 300 students had the pleasure of listening to the author share her fact-findings she included in the book.  After that, students went off on a Nature Walk to explore Wildwood Metro Park.  One amazing stop along the way is this historic school house!  How awesome to see what it was like back in the day to teach and learn in a one room schoolhouse!
Right outside the Pavilion doors, children coming back from their nature walk and having lunch outside....  GLORIOUS day!
The author brought this fabulous "Hidden Ohio" basket filled with goodies made here in Ohio.  It was raffled off to one lucky teacher!
Another AMAZING raffle for one lucky teacher was this fab pink tote filled to the gills with back to school supplies from the ABC CENTER here in Toledo.  Check out the cute SOCK MONKEY theme!!  LOVING it!!!
I couldn't resist purchasing an extra "autographed copy" of Hidden Ohio thinking it would make a perfect giveaway to one of my lucky followers!  If you are interested, enter the rafflecopter down below.


It was an honor serving as President this year of a literacy organization that has touched so many lives.  

Promoting literacy and getting kids and teachers excited about new authors and new books is what I love to do.  I feel so blessed to have been apart of TACIRA and I hope that more teachers like you reach out and find networks in your communities that serve such great causes. 
We are always busy... Crazy schedules, hectic lives, but when it comes to fostering literacy, and nurturing a passion for reading, nothing is more important.
xoxo,


7 comments:

  1. I have some books I use that I have picked up along the way. I also use pictures from my travels and Discovery Education. (I love that site!)


    Krystyn
    Ms Richards's Musings

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Way to go Prez! I love the color illustration of that book!

    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book is beautiful. That is so awesome that you're the prez.
    ☀Rikki

    The Hive

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books, pictures, and products.

    Crystal Shepherd
    lucytumnus@gmail.com
    The lamppost in 1st grade math

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also a away from home Buckeye. It would be wonderful to have a taste of home!

      Delete
  5. Hi sweet friend! What a lovely day! Felt like I was right there with you! Love the pix and 3 Julie's! Too fun!!!! Here's to a fab few last weeks!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add a sparkle to my day!
I love responding to you via email.
Thank you so much for stopping by the First Grade Critter Cafe'!

Pin It button on image hover