Friday, May 31, 2013

Insects Day 3: Buzzing Bumblebees and freebies!

Happy Friday Friends!  I am so happy you have returned for Day 3 of my Insects unit!  Today we are BUZZING with curiosity over our new insect...the Bumblebee!  
As luck would have it,
my handsome fiance  found this fantastic "show & tell" item the morning before!  
BUZZZZinga!
We made predictions.....
 Which led to-
 and then-
I then introduced our new class set of "Bees and Wasps" to the kiddos!
They were BUZZING with excitement!

I also created new question stems asking about key points in the text.  (To read more on how I grouped students for this activity, click here)














Time to get BEEsy!!!  
I mean, busy.  (All first grade teachers are laughing right now!!)  Everyone else, just smile and nod!!!



What amazed me most about these question stem responses is the collaborative effort happening in each group.  Every student had a responsibility and had to be able to verbalize and share their responses respectfully in each group!  I loved hearing "I wonder.... and, this reminds me when I got stung...... or, bees are hairy like my brother!"  (That last one is priceless!)

If you are interested in trying my Buzzing Bumble Bees question stems, click here!  
I'd love your feedback!

Special Thanks to Pink Cat Studio for the awesome insect clipart!  Bubble Frame by The Enlightened Elephant. Fun fonts by Kevin & Amanda and Kimberly G.

Enjoy this amazing Friday!
2 school days left to go!!
WOOT, WOOT!!!

3 comments:

  1. I was definitely laughing! This looks like so much fun! We read Honey Bees as a weekly story, and this would be perfect to extend student learning about bees! I love it! Thank you!

    Dawn
    Adventures in First with Mrs. Key

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every day you post new question stems, I get more excited about teaching a unit on insects!
    Teachin' First

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything you create is a homerun! Thanks for sharing your great ideas. Have a fabulous weekend!
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add a sparkle to my day!
I love responding to you via email.
Thank you so much for stopping by the First Grade Critter Cafe'!

Pin It button on image hover