Monday, June 10, 2013

A Fairytale Ending on this Monday Made It!

 School is officially OUT for summer!  YAY!  And I have been working feverishly hard to get my room in order before the custodians kick me out.  I am hoping this post counts for a SWEET Monday Made It.  As many of you know, last Monday was our annual Fairytale Readers' Theater Production!  It was AMAZING!  Imagine a packed house, in our little classroom, filled with beaming parents and family eager to see what all this fairytale fuss was all about.
Readers' Theater is very easy to do.  You don't need the extravagant costumes or stage lights.  Just a few props and some very eager readers!  When I first started this end-of-the-year tradition 5 years ago, I asked my teaching mentor and very dear friend, Carol for her artistic talent in creating some simple backdrops for each play.
All I had was some white tri-fold poster boards. 
What she brought back to school knocked my socks off!
She made a barn scene, 
 A house in the woods scene,
 A bridge crossing the river,
and my personal favorite,
Cinderella's castle.
How FABULOUS are these backdrops!?!
Carol taught me everything she knew EXCEPT how to paint that good!
After the settings were in place, the kids naturally just fell right into character.
So,
last Monday, here are my "almost second graders" doing their thing in front of a LIVE audience of about 35 people!
I present...
Goldilocks and the Three Bears!
 Cinderella
 And YES!  The Prince went down on one knee as he proclaimed his love to Cinderella!  Totally his idea!!!!
 The cast of The Three Little Pigs
These guys were so awesome that I even had time to take some video!


 The cast of The Gingerbread Man
 The cast of Little Red Riding Hood
The roar of applause at the very end was enough to make my heart go pitter-patter!
I can't tell you enough how proud and honored I felt to be their teacher!
What a memorable day!
Special Thanks to Tara at 4th Grade Frolics for inviting me to share my special little moments with all of you!
xoxo,

7 comments:

  1. Wow-what a cute idea! I forgot about Reader's Theater-I am looking for some new parent activities for next year since I will have most of the same kiddos-that gives me some food for thought! :) Thank you so much for sharing!

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  2. The prince down on his knee must have been a crowd favorite. Looks like fun! Now go and enjoy some summer. :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pictures. I love Reader's Theater, and so did my kids. Happy summer!!!!
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kids are SO cute! I have to ask- did Cinderella come to school in character?? Her dress is too perfect :)
    I also teach first- thanks for reminding me about reader's theater! Great for the end of the year :)
    Karli
    Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a hoot! Your kids must have been so proud of themselves:)

    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did Readers Theater for an end of the year activity, too, but i didn't use any props. I may have to add those next year!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover