Monday, June 17, 2013

Monday Made It: DIY fever hits Room 102!


We have been on vacation about a week or so and I haven't been able to stop working!
The weather has been beautiful!  Not too hot just yet so I am taking every advantage and doing some DIY projects now so I can save myself the sweat and tears later!
I have several pieces of school furniture that are getting a makeover.
Not Martha Stewart or that fabulous guy on cable.
This would be "Julie's style", which includes a 
Fun,
Foo-Foo Fabulous,
First Grade "Sparkle" on things!

First up,
this old living room coffee table.
Had this baby since I was 21 and living with my first roommate in college!
Several years ago, it was christened to Room 102 and I have absolutely NO idea what I was thinking when I painted it bright neon pink!?!
I use this table to hold my 30 stacker mailbox system for the kiddos.  Very sturdy and reliable.
Here's the after!
Satin Black.
Very streamline and perfect for matching up with other prints next year!  Looks just like new again!  YAY!

I am also working on re-striping this table-
The before:
So far,
I have got the bottom legs and frame painted all black.
Now off to Hobby Lobby to buy some fabric for the top!

I was given this lovely cart last year by another teacher.
It can serve a multitude of services to any classroom but the colors were hideous.  Brown, Orange, and rust.  Oh dear.
I am in the process of spray painting it a Metallic Dark Gray with Shimmery Sparkles in it!  
This pic is during the first coat spray down!
Every FOO FOO FABULOUS teacher needs INSPIRATION for these little DIY projects so I went looking around the classroom and found my favorite rain boots!
Animal Prints it is!
My Mom gave me this hope chest and it has been in my basement forever.
I had the sudden revelation that it would be the perfect spot to house all my critters and puppets for Read to Someone time!
 Chris stopped by to say hello and check on my progress so I gave him the honor of painting the chest white first.
Then the Zebra pattern was a pain and I started to loose my cool with it.  But, I suddenly remembered that I am NOT Martha so this will have to do!



I think my new batch of firsties will really like it!
I hope you enjoyed my special little school projects this week!
Special thanks to Tara at 4th Grade Frolics for hosting today's Monday Made it!
xoxoxo,

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you've been very busy! Your DIY projects all look so sharp. The kids are going to love the zebra chest! I can't wait to see what you do next.

    Following your blog and FB :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been crazy busy. Sometimes it's hard to stop once you're in a groove, and you're definitely in a groove. Looks great!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your projects look great Julie, you have been on a painting spree! I love the boots and the hope chest too! :)

    Fashion Craze Learning Days

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! You have been super busy! I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, all this refurbishing is awesome!! Bet your classroom will seem so fresh when you set up for next year!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been busy! I did that last summer and the painting process takes forever! Kudos to you for having the patience to tackle so many projects! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a nice comment :) I'm following you back! Heather @ Learning with MrsLangley

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your projects, girlie! You HAVE been busy! I am in the process of chevron striping two tables, and painting a rocking chair. Plus, I've convinced the fella to paint the upstairs bedroom this weekend. I think the DIY has bit me way too hard! haha :)

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  8. The table and chest are my favorites! Thanks for sharing your DIY.
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add a sparkle to my day!
I love responding to you via email.
Thank you so much for stopping by the First Grade Critter Cafe'!

Pin It button on image hover