Tuesday, August 20, 2013

2013 Open House Success!

Open House ran from 5:00-6:30 last night and WOW, was it fun!  Out of 25 students, 20 stopped in and I was absolutely delighted to have such a nice turn out!  The kids were super-excited to find out our school theme is Super Heroes!
The lovely Lisa Mattes over at Growing Firsties had these adorable O-FISHALLY FIRST GRADERS labels that I stapled to individual packages of Goldfish crackers!  Wally World had the 12 packs for 2 bucks each so it was a steal!  

After greeting my new littles one by one, the parents helped them unpack all their school supplies following a little direction sheet on top of their desks.  

I circulated, on cloud 9, watching the parents swiftly rip open packages of glue sticks and pencil assortments.   I heard a few "Oh,  ****, we forgot to sharpen the pencils first" and of course, my smile widened to a mischievous grin!  
How did I do it all those years ago....  
First day of first grade, scrambling through supplies WITH the kids?? And how easy it has been, the last few years, of having Open House BEFORE school starts.  God bless us for that.  Now, I can mingle, and laugh, and relax as I pass on the school supply tradition to my sweet parents!  

At 5:30 on the dot, I grabbed the microphone and started my little Parent Presentation which covers the essentials of first grade homework policies, rules, and expectations.
This is the perfect opportunity to cover the important homework routines and explain directions to eager parents!
You can take a peek at that and click here.

After that, I had parents pick up my First Grade Handbook which outlines (in 21 pages) all the NEED-to-KNOW in first grade.  (This handbook is a lifesaver and my parents LOVE those details!!)  Click here to see more!

It was the loveliest first grade back to school Open House yet!  Today was teacher work day then my littles arrive bright and early tomorrow.... I can't wait!  It's going to be a fabulous year!  Working on the edits of a video tour of my classroom... Stay Tuned!

6 comments:

  1. I love the "I learn, what's your super power" sign... I think I may put that up today above the student work display in the hallway to go with my super hero theme.

    Thanks!
    Annie
    Three Cheers for First Grade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great. W have open house tomorrow and so I am trying to get things finished. I moved my first grade class for the third year and so it takes some organizing to get it all fitted into the room. I wish you luck as well as myself. Enjoy this last day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was good advice about the supplies-we do a simple Meet-and-Greet before school starts where they can drop off supplies, but I wonder how many parents will come because I'm looping with a group and they've already met me! :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love!!!
    And...MUAH!!!
    I, too, gave you some love on my post today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing all of your ideas, Julie! We are doing parent presentations for the first time this year... your Doc will help me get started with figuring out how to organize mine-- thanks!! Hope the beginning of your year goes well! Lets meet up in a few weeks and touch base! :)

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add a sparkle to my day!
I love responding to you via email.
Thank you so much for stopping by the First Grade Critter Cafe'!

Pin It button on image hover