Monday, August 5, 2013

I'm Lovin' Daily 5 August linky edition

 My sweet and fabulous friend Becca over at  First Grade in Foxwell Forest asked me if I would be interested in joining her new monthly linky party focusing on Daily 5.  Of course there was no hesitation and a quick YES from me!  Now Becca has already laid the foundation of starting up the year with Daily 5, so be sure to stop over and visit her blog as soon as your done reading here!  And because she adores the Daily 5 as much as I do, she is also raffling off a new copy of the Daily 5 book by the two Sisters.  So if you don't already own a copy, enter to win one!
To give you a bit of history-
This will be my forth year using Daily 5 and my Third year using CAFE.
Some important start up tips that I find most useful:
#1  Make sure your classroom rules (WBT) is in place before starting your transitions.  I teach WBT rules on Day 1.
#2  Don't rush the launch.  Let it unfold naturally, and at it's own pace. Daily 5 begins on Day 2 of school.

#3 Create the anchor I charts with your class first, before moving to pre-made products.  There is alot to be said about the intimate process of brainstorming those charts that is very meaningful to the students AND the teacher.  
#4 Thoroughly teach the procedures and process for "Check for Understanding" and Good Fit Books!
#5  Students should be Reading to Self at least 20-30 minutes daily (weather it during a round or after morning work time)
As many of you know, the Sisters have a 25 day cycle for launching the Daily 5.  Last school year, I started with 26 first graders and a WIDE range of abilities.  Behavior was also a key factor last year, so I made the decision to slow things a bit, so that I could offer shorter, more intense mini-lessons for each day of the launch.
After it was all said and done, I retyped my notes and created this 
Launch Sequence:  










If you would like to download of copy of my 2012-2013 pacing guide, click here.  (Please keep in mind that I am not an expert by any means...Just your typical OCD first grade teacher that loves the details!)

I also have a few Pinterest Boards that are stocked FULL of great resources.  Be sure to check them out!

In June, our district First Grade Team got together and created a curriculum map for ELA and the new CCSS.  So, before school starts, I have some strategies to switch around just a bit...but for the most part, I think I will continue using this schedule.
I will also be adding more Work on Writing choices (in a different order).  Stop back next month on Sept. 5 for the more tricks of the trade using Daily 5 in the classroom!

If you have anything specific you would like to know or want me to touch on for next month, be sure to leave a comment!
Hugs!

17 comments:

  1. Simply fabulous! Downloaded it and it looks wonderful. Thanks for helping to keep me organized!
    Alyce :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great linky idea! We love, love, love using Daily 5 in our classrooms! We'll definitely have to join in and link up! It will be so fun to hear different variations and ideas we can add to our own implementation!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie!! You are all kinds of fabulous girl!! I LOVED your planning calendar--makes my OCD heart oh so happy too! :) I'm pinning it now! :) And your tips were spot on and very helpful!! Thank you so much for linking up!! I'm so glad to have you along with me on this journey of learning and growing together!

    Becca :)
    First Grade in Foxwell Forest

    ReplyDelete
  4. We started Daily 5 at the very end of last year, so this will be my first full year using it! I'm excited to read everyone's ideas!!

    Sarah
    A Sunny Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, this post is AWESOME! Seriously, so helpful. Thank you for posting your pacing guide too. Now when I get daily 5 questions, I can just send them over to this post. :)
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much. I am very nervous about launching Daily 5 and CAFE for the first time this year.
    Maria
    First Grade Carousel

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome. I will be implementing daily 5 in my classroom for the first time this year. I am really excited about it. THank you for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Your guide is super informative! I like seeing how other teachers set up the Daily 5. If you take 40 days to launch it when do you start meeting in reading groups?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic post, Julie!! Thank you very much for sharing your pacing guide-- love the details! Can't wait to check it out more! :)

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am using the The Sisters CC Pensieve to keep my notes organized this year. Have you tried it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie you are so awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your pacing guide...it's so nice to see how someone else implements the Daily 5! You rock!

    œKaryn
    A is for Apple B is for Blog
    Kideducator@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing this. I am new to Daily 5 and this was a big help. Can't wait for more posts each month.

    Cara
    The Teacher's Backpack

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love this post and love using the daily 5. I have modified it a bit to work in my room but the program really works. I am so excited by these posts and have already added first grade in foxwell forest to my bloglovin account. Thanks again for giving ideas and working to provide resources for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for helping to get me motivated for the school year Julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing this great guide! I LOVE The Daily 5 ans CAFE! This guide will be very helpful. Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! You are the bomb diggity! I do WBT and am implementing D5 with a large group of firsties this year (22+). I'm trying to figure out how to keep the Daily 5 pure yet meet with EACH of my GR groups. I think I'll have to have at least 5 this year. Do you do a mini lesson between each round--if so, for how long? Is writing truly only a mini lesson (15 min) or a stand alone block for you? I have from 9:15-11:30 max. time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm just now finding this post...I LOVE your pacing guide! Thank you for sharing it!!

    Sarah Beth
    Miss White's Classroom

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover