Friday, September 27, 2013

It's an APPLICIOUS Five for Friday!

Hooray!
It's Five for Friday!
Look at these new number buttons that Jen Jones made for Kacey and the Five for Friday linky--- ADORBS!!!


I am definitely ready to get my weekend started.
I have wedding invitations to find and bridesmaid dresses to hunt for!  But, I could not let a second go by without sharing all of the Applicious fun we had this week in Room 102!
When the kiddos saw that Science and Investigations were on the schedule for the week, the smiles and excitement were hard to contain!
Quincy brought some awesome apple books to help us learn how to ask good questions before, during, and after we read!

The very sweet Jessica Williams shared her fab apple unit for free on TPT.  Isn't she generous!  Thanks Jessica!  The KWL and Labeling activities  were extremely engaging!  We had a blast!
We had plenty of apples to taste test!
YUM, YUM!
Red was the class favorite, followed Green in second place.
It was so fun to use some "Apple Talk" and learn new words like flesh, core, and seeds.



Our phonics lessons were totally fun.
How cool that are (ap) word family happen to show up right when we were learning about apples!
Sink or Float?
It's a floater!
 My super-lovely friend Sarah, from First Grade Snippets, has this rockin' apple experiment that was a huge hit!
The kids were shocked that the lemon juice kept the apples from browning.  They thought for sure that the milk would keep the flesh white because milk is white!  (Scientific reasoning at it's best!)



Scholastic Weekly Readers----Topic?
"Mmmm, Mmmmm, Apples!"
This was a perfect selection to add to a round of Daily 5: Read to Someone!  The kids practicing reading the magazine together a few times then worked on an sequencing activity called "From Seed to Apple" from Sarah's Read and Sequence pack!
Then we added our new learning to our focus wall!

Apple Smiles... Oh yes, we did!
I was so lucky to find  this writing and snack idea included in Jessica's Apples unit!  
It was a hot, messy-mess and a ton of fun!


Then we added our fourth choice to our Work on Writing menu called, "How-To" writing.  We used the freebie template to write the steps on how to make Apple Smiles!

The kids were saying things like, "Ms. Marciniak, this is the best week ever!" So I lit up like a Christmas Tree and felt super-fabulous that this first grade class is so special!

If you haven't already, 
join Doodle Bugs Teaching for our Five for Friday Celebration!
Have a great weekend friends!

5 comments:

  1. Love Quincy! That is super cute. I also love all of your apple activities and am super jealous as all food has been banned from our schools :( There are so many fun things you can do with apples, I am glad your kids can do it!!

    Enjoy your weekend!
    Annie
    Three Cheers for First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say that I want to BE in your class! I wish I lived close to you so I could visit your class every day. You do so much every week and seem to put it all together so perfectly. I'm so glad your class liked the experiment! Yay! :) Have I mentioned how much I love your critter cafe? Ah-mazing! It looks like your kids had another super fun week. You are such an amazing teacher my friend!
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, Thanks for always inspiring so many teachers. I love critter cafe! The kids do also. Mine is still a bit jumbled up, but I am trying to bring organization to it. Maybe during Christmas vacay? Good luck with invitations!!!
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love apple smiles. I've made those in the past. Looks like a fun, fun week. Enjoy your hunt for invitations and dresses!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those apple lips with marshmallow teeth are just too cute. Sometimes it's just right to engage in those "hot mess" activities.

    Cindy
    Granny Goes to School

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add a sparkle to my day!
I love responding to you via email.
Thank you so much for stopping by the First Grade Critter Cafe'!

Pin It button on image hover