Monday, September 9, 2013

Peek at my Weekly Spelling in First Grade

Happy Monday Friends!
For this edition of Monday Made It
I would like to share some materials I have created to use in correlation with weekly spelling words in first grade.  
I have been using Scholastic's Week-by-Week Homework program for First Grade the past 6 years.  It offers students spelling mastery with key first grade sight words and has the option to add phonics focus patterns as well.  Spelling programs like this are a nice addition to Common Core seekers!  It offers BOTH sight word mastery and Phonics skills mastery as well. 
Week–by–Week Homework Packets: Spelling: Grade 1
I made a little You Tube video to share what my weekly activities look like and how I have organized the 30-week program. Feel free to take a peek!
If you are interested in downloading my 30-week header set, 
click here.  
I am also putting the final touches on a Monday pre-test page-

Along with a Friday post-test page.

  Some really amazing first grade friends have shared some awesome units that fit perfectly with this type of weekly spelling program.  Be sure to check these products out:




I went through these TPT units and pulled out all the matching sight word materials.  I added those materials to the corresponding weekly sight word folders.  Now, all my weekly masters are in one spot, and I can easily take the envelope down to the copy room and make copies when needed.  Word Wall cards and sight word sticks are also included in each weekly envelope.
In addition to the six weekly sight words, we also have 4 additional spelling words that focus on a given phonics pattern.
Here is a look at some of the SCHOLASTIC teaching resources      I use to introduce and practice those patterns (AKA) "word families" each week.
Last week's focus patterns were (ot) and (op).

The Word Family Tales book set collection is a awesome!
I have used it for many, many years and the books are fantastic for focused read alouds.  The kids LOVE the "Guess My Word?" at the back of the book followed by the "RAP" we do with the ending cheer!

My kids absolutely adore this NEW favorite this year for making words- (Making Words Mega Pack by Lisa Richling)

Sing Along Flip Charts and CD's are a HUGE hit in Room 102!
Highlighter Tape works really well on these charts too!
My district's first grade team has compiled a yearly curriculum map for spelling words using the scope and sequence provided by Orton Gillingham.  We use OG for our Tier 2 and Tier 3 intervention groups.   These lists are still a WORK in PROGRESS but I am happy to share what we have completed so far.
To download our weekly First Grade Spelling List, click here.  

To download our weekly First Grade CHALLENGE list, click here.


For a copy of my Erin Condren lesson plans for this week, 
click here.

I would love to thank Deedee Wills
 
and   
for allowing me the opportunity to link up this week.
Have a great week!

3 comments:

  1. What great resources! Thanks for the shout out on my sentence puzzles! I'm glad they are in your rotation, alongside all the other wonderful activities!
    Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori,
    I am so glad to have you as a first grade friend! Your teacher resources are amazing and make teaching so fun!
    Thank you so much,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. It is so comprehensive and I LOVE the video. A MILLION thanks!

    Cindy
    Granny Goes to School

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add a sparkle to my day!
I love responding to you via email.
Thank you so much for stopping by the First Grade Critter Cafe'!

Pin It button on image hover