Sunday, October 6, 2013

A "Batty-Good" Five for Friday, on Sunday! Don't miss it!

This post was ready on Friday.
I now see that it is Sunday, and WOW... did I loose track of the time!  
Some "Batty-Good" anchor texts this week!



Labeling Bat parts.

Making lists of BATTY good vocabulary!
Week 2 of Quincy the Questioner asking good questions 
"Batty-style!"

My sweet firstie friend, Jennifer Tice, recommended "Night Song" and this "Batty-Good" video on Echolocation. It was a HUGE hit with the kiddos!!


The best part...
Finding out vampire bats LICK the blood!  eeeewwwwwww!!

Celebrity of the Week:
Here is a sneak peek at how Room 102 celebrates our Celebrity of the Week!
On Monday, we go out into the hallway and our new Celebrity gets to add fun facts about themselves to our Celebrity Wall.
Then I take a picture of the Celebrity standing in front of it and send it to mom & dad!  Our Celebrity is in charge of all things throughout the week-
Line Leader,
Paper Passer,
Office Assistant, etc.

On Tuesday, the celebrity gets to choose a mini-lesson to "teach" to the class.  My sweet-pie this week chose to teach this making words activity and she did AWESOME!

Celebrity also gets to bring in Show-and-Tell items to share with the class....
On Thursday,
Celebrity chooses a "good-fit" book to read to the class.
On Friday, they get some really cool Celebrity BLING to wear and take home!
This week, our Celebrity was the first to reach 10 pieces of bling on her CLIP so she retired her clip to the HALL of FAME and started a new one!
Our Celebrity also gets to bring in a treat.
This week, Miss A brought in these deliciously sweet PIGGY cupcakes!
We packed up Petey the Pig and our Celebrity gets to take Petey home over the weekend!  She will write about all the special adventures she has with Petey and then bring it back in on Monday to read to the class!
To see more about Petey the Pig,
watch this little video!


I have had some friends ask about my daily "Share Circles".
I am a huge fan of poetry and believe that daily poems are the secret to fluency success!

Poetry allows ALL students, even the most reluctant readers, the opportunity to participate.
I read the poem first, modeling with an expressive voice, making connections to our Sight Word of the Day.
Then my students break out into two Share Circles to practice.
Each Share Circle has a team leader and the team leader is in charge of starting and stopping the read alouds, if the reading sounds robotic or off pace.
When the Team Leader thinks the group has got great fluency, they raise their hand and present the poem to me!

Of course, the big reward is getting the teacher's mark of approval written in big SCENTED marker on each paper!
The kids then take the poem home and read it again to mom and dad!  How long does it take every day?  8 to 9 minutes tops!
Math Work Stations,
Day 1: Friday...
HUGE HIT!








 I am excited to be joining Becca's October installment of "I'm Lovin' Daily 5. I will have my post ready to publish on Monday!
Stop back then!

A special thanks to Doodle Bugs Teaching for hosting!
Happy Weekend my friends!
xoxoxo,

5 comments:

  1. Such cute ideas!! I love the celebrity of the week idea!! That would go great with my Hollywood themed classroom!!! Maybe something to think about implementing..... =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a GREAT week in your room!! So much fun!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture of your three boys writing about bats! You know I've had that echolocation song stuck in my head all weekend! We do bats next week and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your idea of circle shares! Thank you for posting a video. That is so helpful! And your Celebrity for the Week is packed with great idea! I love how they get to do something different each day. Teaching their own lesson is SUCH a great idea! Thanks for another great post:)
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover