Friday, October 25, 2013

My Fab Finds on this Five for Friday!

Happy Friday Friends!
I am so excited to get a chance to catch up in the blogging world!
It's been a few weeks, but here I am, just in the nick of time for Five for Friday..... YAY!
A Peek at our Week!

The fancy CCSS name: consonant digraphs
The fun first grade name: HUNK & CHUNKS!!

Now you know the kids were OVER the TOP excited to see a SOCK MONKEY in the Mystery Suitcase this week!
Chunky the Sock Monkey is helping us CHOP through a word and find chunks that we know!
OF COURSE, this was the PERFECT time to introduce 
I was glad I waited this year....
Makes a bit more sense to do it when it ties so perfectly together with the Critter Cafe AND our district's new CCSS pacing guide!
We were doing a few chants before, but the large print posters went up permanently this week!
I told the kiddos that Chunky the Sock Monkey did it over night!  That silly monkey!


Two birds with one FABULOUS stone!
One fundraiser our building participates in is called ART to Remember.
Teachers pick a project to do with students that can be illustrated on provided-paper.  
We send it home in a special envelope and parents have the opportunity to buy merchandise with the artwork printed on it.  It's perfect for the holidays!
Time to shop for art ideas....
That was a no-brainer.
Of course, my favorite place for amazing art is Kathy's blog, Art Projects for Kids.  A few months back, she shared a Back to School Stick Kid Portrait that was really cool....
Of course, I had tie together great literature and I couldn't think of a more INSPIRING story than "Willow" by my beloved friend Denise Brennan-Nelson!  (If you haven't bought this book yet, YOU MUST!  It gives me goose-bumps every time I read it!) 
After a great conversation about the story, 
we began the art project.  
First, we sketched in pencil,
then traced in sharpie,
followed by Crayola Crayons to add the SCRATCH technique.







The kids absolutely LOVED it and are so excited to take the project home and "persuade" mom and dad to custom order some awesome merchandise!
We managed to squeeze in a little time for ANTS too! Now the kids gave me an "It's Cool" after my big ant turned out a bit disporportioned... But thank goodness first grade is all about the LOVE! 
The KWL, turned into a hodge-podge of ant goodness!
During Work on Writing the Kiddos wrote their favorite ant facts!


We also read, "Hey Little Ant" which has an ending that leaves the reader making a choice....
Perfect for a Reader's Response activity during Work on Writing time!
Hey, Little Ant




You.
Are.
Fabulous!
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!
I am so lucky to have you as my friend.
 Fall Ready-to-Go Literacy Pack
And what's to love, you ask??
EVERY single page!
Common Core aligned and packed with goodness!
I highly recommend it to every primary teacher.  
Special Delivery!  
All the way from AUSTIN TEXAS!
My fabulously awesome firstie friend Jennifer Tice (author of Rowdy in First Grade) sent me some amazing free samples from Arbonne. Now for those of you who don't know Arbonne....
Well, I am just getting started with these samples and over the weekend I plan to cake my face with this beauty regimen and I will let you know in four weeks how I turn out!  :)
LOVE this card Jennifer!
That's you and me,
doing the "lather of love" for beauty!
If you are interested in Arbonne products, click here to stop by Jennifer's blog and send her an email!

Special SHOUT OUT to Kacey for hosting this week's Five for Friday! Be sure to link up!


Have a great weekend!
xoxo,

3 comments:

  1. Woah! That is a whole lotta learning going on. Looks like your littles had a blast. I absolutely love your focus wall!

    Shuna

    Pocket Full of Kinders

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know the book Willow, but I just added it to my Amazon cart. I love the art project that goes with it too! And THANK YOU for the sweet shout out! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the scratch art...I could see it being a great gift for Mother's Day!
    Nicole
    Simply Sweet Lessons

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add a sparkle to my day!
I love responding to you via email.
Thank you so much for stopping by the First Grade Critter Cafe'!

Pin It button on image hover