Sunday, April 6, 2014

Five for Friday with a Celebrity Visit and Final Evaluation!

It feels great to have a little free time tonight to share my week with all of you! With all the wedding planning and final evaluations,
my free time has been few and far between!
 Room 102 has been working feverishly on developing our reading strategy for Main Idea and Details.
Of course, Digger Dog from our Critter Cafe, brought us some fun visuals and aids to help us with that!
Our theme was Robots and we enjoyed so many fun stories!  A favorite was "Boy + Bot" by Ame Dyckman.
If you haven't read "Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot" to your class, it's a MUST READ in first grade!


We took our fascination of robots and created some fun writing this week too!






New Daily 5 Word Work materials:
The kids made up a new way to play Sound Hounds-
kind of like a memory game!  They loved it!

I had my second teacher evaluation and I think it went really well!  Still waiting on the final results but here is a peek at what it looked like-
This is my Formal Evaluation Lesson Plan Binder 
 that I had ready for the evaluator.
Copy of my lesson plan-
The lesson was a small group STRATEGY session on text features. I copied and referenced a ton of great materials from the Sisters' Daily Cafe website-


This rubric is also from The Daily Cafe website and was a huge hit with the evaluator!

I sprinkled in other assessments that I will be using throughout the month for assessment on this particular strategy so the evaluator could see that it was an ongoing process.
To promote that school-home connection,
I send the Parent Pipelines home weekly and lucky for me I had one on text features ready to go for this week!
Of course, I referenced my Critter Cafe critter,
Feature Flamingo and presented how I use the beanie during strategy lessons.

Here are some graphic organizers that relate to the ongoing lessons for this strategy group-
source
My goal throughout the evaluation process was to refine my Differentiation techniques.  I thought presenting a multi-level reading lesson would be just the ticket!  I used the text, "What Lives in This Hole?" by Reading A to Z.
The strategy group was comprised of 6 students at various reading levels.  I had 2 readers in a Level H, 
2 readers in a Level K, and 2 readers in a Level N.
The kids took one look at the cover and thought we were reading the same thing! They never noticed the amount of text was different on each page.  I think they were totally engrossed by the topic and the cool critters featured throughout the text!
Even the follow-up questions were leveled- 
A huge PLUS in my book!
I used my Marazano Levels of Understanding bookmarks to have the students demonstrate their understanding throughout the entire lesson.
I also used these amazing text feature anchor chart posters to introduce and review the concepts at the beginning and end of the lesson.
source
I had the students' reading folders prepared ahead of time-
I love that the student can keep track of their reading level right on the folder!

Inside of the folder-
copy of their leveled text, and all of the follow up activities that we would be working on for the next week.
Needless to say, the lesson was a huge success and I am so happy to have the evaluations all done for the year!
 I had the distinct pleasure of taking a PD day last week and visiting a very exciting first grade teacher! Don't be too jealous, but I spent the day with my new firstie friend, Miss DeCarbo!
The very sweet Christina, author of Sugar and Spice, gave me an all-access pass to how she incorporates Whole Brain Teaching throughout her day.  Christina has put her own unique fingerprint on WBT and I was more than impressed with how engaged her littles were from start to finish.  Oral Writing is Christina's cup-o-tea and man did she ROCK with that lesson!  I was kicking myself on the drive home thinking I should have recorded the whole day!
I came back to my classroom and started rearranging the furniture
to embrace WBT's partnership teaching more effectively.
That's right folks.
Once you've seen Christina teach,
you can never go back to your old ways.
I am feeling totally INSPIRED by our visit!
This is a little something that Christina has just added to her TPT store.  It was part of the lesson I saw when I was visiting her and her kids absolutely loved it!
Can't wait to try it with my first graders this week!
Who Said That? A Dialogue and Quotation Mark Unit for Read

Special Thanks to Doodle Bugs Teaching for our weekly Five for Friday Celebration...Even when it's on Sunday!
Have a great weekend friends!

5 comments:

  1. Girl, I know I've told you a million times, but I would love to be in your classroom!! You are so creative, and I just LOVE what you do. If I could get a PD day (and a plane ticket to Ohio), I would be coming to see you :) Hope you're doing great - it's almost wedding time!!
    xoxo,
    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I was going to write the same thing as Kelley and remind you that I would like to be a student in your room! I'm sure you rocked that evaluation!! My final eval is next week... can't wait to be DONE! :) Thanks, as always, for the super informative post!

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing in...with blogs and internet we are able to learn from each other so much more than before--how cool. But to meet someone in person that you have been "studying" online is amazing. So glad you had that day, and that your evaluation went well. :)
    Alyce
    P.S. My desks are in pairs now. If Julie does it, so does Alyce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love what you have done with this unit! Is there a way for me to access the materials you created/used? I just love your reading level folders. Do you have a link to the covers that I could download?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where can I find the reading folder cover?

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover